Marta Kowalczuk-Walędziak (Ph.D.) is an assistant professor at the Faculty of Education, University of Bialystok, Poland. She also co-founded and for 4 years has been the President of the Foundation “Centre of Transfer of Educational Innovations and Know-how”. Her main research interests focus on the impact of higher research degrees on teachers’ professional development, linking educational theory and practice (practitioner research), and the sense of social agency of educational professionals. She is a member of the Administrative Council of the Association for Teacher Education in Europe (ATEE). She serves on the editorial board of the Eastern European Journal of Transnational Relations, and is an associate editor of the Polish Journal of Educational Studies. In 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012 she received the University of Bialystok Rector’s award for scientific work. In 2016, she was awarded a Scholarship for Outstanding Young Scientists from the Ministry of Science and Higher Education in Poland (2016–2019). In 2019, she was a short-term visiting professor at the Department of Human and Social Sciences at the University of Bergamo, Italy. The results of her recent studies have been published in distinguished journals such as Educational Research and Teaching Education.
She teaches the following courses: research methods in educations, qualitative research, trends in elementary school education, innovations in education.
- Kowalczuk-Walędziak, M., Lopes, A., Underwood, J., Daniela, L., Clipa, O. (2019). Meaningful Time for Professional Growth or a Waste of Time? A Study in Five Countries on Teachers’ Experiences within Master’s Dissertation/Thesis Work (advanced online publication).Teaching Education, Taylor and Francis (Scopus).
- Kowalczuk-Walędziak, M., Korzeniecka-Bondar, A., Danilewicz, W., Lauwers, G. (Eds.). (2019). Rethinking Teacher Education for the 21st Century: Trends, Challenges and New Directions. Opladen-Berlin-Toronto: Verlag Barbara Budrich.
- Kowalczuk-Walędziak, M., Korzeniecka-Bondar, A., Danilewicz, W., Lauwers, G. (2019). A Time for Reflection and Dialogue: How Do We Educate Teachers to Meet the Challenges of the 21st Century? In: Kowalczuk-Walędziak, M., Korzeniecka-Bondar, A., Danilewicz, W., Lauwers, G. (Eds.), Rethinking Teacher Education for the 21st Century: Trends, Challenges and New Directions (pp. 15-23). Opladen-Berlin-Toronto: Verlag Barbara Budrich.
- Kowalczuk-Walędziak, M. (2019). Higher degrees by research: outcomes and challenges for teachers. Nouva Secondaria, 10, 165-173.
- Underwood J., and Kowalczuk-Walędziak, M. (2018). Conceptualising Professional Communities Among Teachers. Polish Journal of Educational Studies, 1 (LXXI), 123-142.
- Underwood, J., and Kowalczuk-Walędziak, M. (2018). Professional Communities among Teachers: a Summary of a Conceptual Framework, CollectivED, 5, Leeds Beckett University, 66-71
- Kowalczuk-Walędziak, M., Lopes, A., Menezes, I., and N. Tormenta. (2017). Teachers Pursuing a Doctoral Degree: Motivations and Perceived Impact, Educational Research 59 (3), 335-353, IF: 1,566 (JCR; Scopus)
- Kowalczuk-Walędziak, Clipa, O., Daniela, L. (2017). Do teachers really need a master’s degree? Journal of Educational Sciences, 1 (35), 38-58.